Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How did I get here?

It’s quite amazing how this simple blog I started in 2008 has grown to over 88,000 views…I am so glad that I can take my life and share it with the world.  My life has been filled with a lot of twist in turns and this blog is just a snap shot of just one aspect of it.  I was recently asked why did I choose Ross University over an US school?  This is how my destiny unfolded…

I guess you can say Ross chose me or it was in my DESTINY!  I truly believe that my steps are ordered by GOD... At the cusp of 2007, I began to seek out my plan for 2008, which was a ritual I practiced every New Year’s Eve.  I would take the time to look back over the year to see what my successes were and what I needed to change.  I knew I would be moving to Houston that summer after my wedding, so that meant I would have to move my mortgage office, too.   I would have to rebuild my clientel.  So, as I was meditating I heard a small voice say, “Go to medical school.” Medical school?  That was weird and strange, I thought.  Well, I decided to followed the voice’s leading and began to research what I needed to do to get into medical school.   I discussed it with my husband and decided to begin taking the prereqs that summer.  (You can read my earlier blogs on the challenges I faced with advise from so called medical advisors…)  

Once I got the minimum classes done, I started applying the first time within Texas only…then the next application cycle nationwide.  Well, the second time around my national application was not completed on time for some strange reason.  The application site said they never received any of my Letter of Recommendations.  OH NO!  How disappointing was that.  All my professors said they sent them.  But, the system had no record of them.  I was actually bewildered. 
I decided and open up my options....I started looking for alternatives to this long process of getting to med school in the US.  One thing I noticed that during the course of my deceased husband's illness and the many doctors we encountered, only 2 doctors were graduates from a US medical school.  I would even ask doctors in the elevators, where did they attend medical school.  The majority had the same answer: some other country.  So, I said to myself, “Hey, it doesn't matter where I get my MD, just as long as I get it and can come back to US to practice.” 
I began to research schools that had US financial aid available and there were a couple.  Then I saw Ross an informational session in Dallas.  So, I drove there and was so impressed with the presentation.  After speaking with a few graduates that are currently practicing in Texas, I decide this was the school I was to attend. 

I started the online application as soon as I got home.  I began to fill out the application and was told that my email address was already in the system.   “Hmmm,” I thought to myself….I have never been on this website before.  So, I requested my password to be sent to me and when I received it, it was a password I had used over 12 yrs early…”OMG”…I thought to myself.  So, I logged on to the system and all the information they had on file was from when I lived in Long Beach, CA in 1999.  I was floored and amazed.  I did not remember this school at all.  I didn’t remember filling out the application.  I did not remember any of it.  (If you have not noticed by now, I’m very emotional and sentimental about the small things in life.) This was one of those moments that overshadowed all the obstacles and pointed me in the direction of my destiny.  This small forgotten step reassured me that I was headed in the right direction.  It is so reassuring to know that even when I sometimes get off path…My steps are ordered…
I applied.  I got the interview.   I was accepted!  All my paperwork flowed so smoothly…It was my time!  This was the place!  Now, I had to put in the work to make it happen.  Then, I got a letter from a medical school in Georgia saying that they had requested more information from me and I did not respond so they were withdrawing my application.  WHAT, I never received a request for more information from this school.  So, I called the Dean of Admission.  He apologized but, told me that application season in now closed and there is nothing that can be done. For a split moment I felt cheated.  I thought that probably was my door.  But, then I remembered.  I have already been accepted to Ross and why am I fretting.  “I place before you and open door that no one can shut. (Rev 3:8)”

So, the beauty of all of this is I was looking into medical school over 14 years ago, and was not ready.  Then when I was ready, I found Ross again. There’s a proverb that states, “when the student is ready the teacher will appear.”   Even though, I put the dream on the back burner, when I was ready it came back up.  I had to move on it this time… There was no time to consider my age, no time to consider the obstacles….It was time to walk in FAITH..WALK IN DESTINY… Knowing that if I have the WILL, THERE IS A WAY!  I was indeed ready this time…I was ready to do all that was required. 

So, with all that said.  Don’t fret because you have not yet obtained or feel like the opportunity has passed you by.  For it you are willing and obedient you shall eat the good of the land (Isa 1:19). You will find your way, your path, your calling, you DESTINY awaits you…if you faint NOT!

Now, GO LIVE YOUR DREAM!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your testimony! God is good, and I am glad I get to learn from your wisdom. I have been through a lot throughout this year, which is why I have stopped my pursuit of medical school. However, I have received confirmation from other people that going into healthcare is the correct field for me, but it might not be through medical school only. I have realized I was limiting God in thinking only about medical school, and now I can see with my recent experience that nursing school is probably a better fit. I'm still praying on it, but I will begin to pursue nursing school to see where it leads. Who knows, I only saw myself as becoming a doctor, but it might be God's will that I become a RN first then a doctor or just a RN. Whichever it is I know His timing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never, ever underestimate how much you are being used through this blog. Promise that no matter what, you will keep writing. Thank you for fighting the good fight and being obedient. Many, many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey! You have inspired and encouraged me as I pursue my dreams for this past year! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for telling this amazing story of your journey to fulfilling your dream. Like you, I'm also dreaming of becoming a medical doctor. I'm 38 years old and hail from South Africa, trained in psychology, but I'm still a 'doctor' at heart.

    Unlike you guys in the US who have to comple a pre-med course, us here in SA only need good grades in grade 12 in math and science afterwhich you apply to any of our medical schools, and if accepted, you commence with what is known in SA as an MB.ChB degree. That will take 6 years to complete.. So, for us its a reletively 'short' distance to travel, but acceptance to medical school here in SA is VERY tough and only the very best and very brightest students are selected. But I hope to enter med school at, maybe age 41...

    Your faith is also a true inspiration. All the best to you...

    ReplyDelete