Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Can we dance?

I remember there was a time when I could play the corporate game.  I could overlook the small bothersome things in the work place and keep moving.  I could excel in my job, get promoted and recognized for outstanding performance and careless about the politics of the office.  BUT, NOW what has happened to that career woman.  Have I forgotten how to dance?  Have I forgotten or am I just not into dancing in that manner anymore? 

It has been such a long time since I had to do the corporate dance...that I have completely forgotten if it's a two step or a waltz.  Prior to embarking on this journey, I was self employed for 12 years.  I set the pace, I chose the dance.  And I always prefered and upbeat tempo with a whole lot of soul.  So, now that I am at the lower end of the totem pole...my moves have been stunned.  This is when the self evaluation and humbleness has to kick in.   I'm just not use to people loud talking me, spies in office watching your every move.  This is ludacris.  But, it's only temporary.  I am going to make it through this last week and half and it's back to the hospital....

I am now assigned to a small outpatient internal medicine office.  The doctor I am working with has been practicing medicine over 40 years and has a real on hands approach to everything in the office, even who is making copies...Yes, copies...Her bedside manner is quite different than my style, but most of her patients has been with her for many, many years and they continue to come back for more.  She's a type of hold no punches, in your face type.....she and the patients go back and forth in heated dialogue....but, one thing I found...They all come back.  At first, I wasn't quite sure how to handle her approach...but, one thing I did see was she was like this with everyone. 

So, I had to realize this is her way, her personality and I must not take her out burst to heart, but see the true intent and that is she does care for her patients.  I must say, I admire her ability to assess and diagnose quickly.  She is concerned about the whole patient: preventative care, acute, and chronic management.  When she is in a calm mood, she is a fabulous teacher.  This week I had to stop taking offense at her style and embrace her sincerity.  She means well.  She's a bit perculiar, but she a great practioner. 

I must learn to dance again...I must recognize there are many different types of music and I will be limiting my experience if I cannot come to appreciate music of all genres....

So, you may be faced with some static, noise or unfamiliar music that has become distracting and is only bringing you frustration, try to see beyond the distraction and get the message or the lesson being taught.

Humble yourself and in due season, you will be exalted. 1 Peter 5:6

Now, go live your dreams!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey- the good and the not so good. It's so inspiring and gives us a realism of medicine especially for nontrads. "keep inward and praying upward"! Your beautiful spirit will always shine through.

    ReplyDelete