Monday, July 2, 2012

Growing into my own...

Today, I was quite amazed at how at ease I was during our infracolic region dissection.  I was actively cleaning away the fat to identify all the vasculature  (veins and arteries) structures that supplies the liver, spleen, stomach, small and large intestines, and it really didn't bother me, as you would have thought it should.


As I am continuing to push forward in my study of medicine, I'm growing less and less sensitive to what I know before all of this would have scared the dickens out of me. 

A couple of weekends ago, I got to participate in a Prostate Screening Clinic in a local community in which, I got to perform digital rectal exams.  Do you know why they are called digital?  You may think it's because I'm using a fancy digital apparatus of some sort, but no.....it's because Im using my 2nd digit (finger) to inserted into a complete strangers rectum.  I know, now that sounds crazy.  But, all in all, it is why Im here; to learn and to grow.  The attending physician made it seem so natural and literally was not going to let me leave until I did it.  Also, I was quite amazed that I was able to answer some of the questions posed to me by the attending professor.  It felt good.

So, I said this to say, I'm growing.  I'm getting there, step by step.  I am naturally falling into my groove.  My specialty will be revealed in time.  Each step is leading me towards my new normal, my dream of practicing medicine.  Oh my gosh..it is happening right before my eyes...I can see it....Thank God...

Proverbs 23:7, "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he"


3 comments:

  1. Hello again.

    Great post. I remember this photo from anatomy and EMT training. I love how it never changes, so you can master it with ease (it has plenty details though).

    Great job on the infracolic dissection! You really are transforming into the physician that you are at heart.

    As for myself, I quit the management position (I have to focus on what's in my heart at this point in my life).

    Thank's again for a great post. Your journey is very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I have a question, in your journey while completing your prerequisites, did you take any of your courses at a community college? I work fulltime and most of the most flexible classes are oiffered by CC. Do you think that some of your med school classmates who took the prereqs at CC are at a disadvantage in keeping up with the amount of school work required?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Responding to the prerequisite question?
    I have a BS in Business, so had to go back and do all my prereqs. And Yes, I took ALL my preequistites at a CC...However, I did take upper division bio classess like: Biochem, Microbio, Statistics, Genetics, etc at my local university.....

    I know a lot of people would say, go to a University...But, like you mentioned..sometimes the schedules aren't as flexible at universities as they are at CC...So, I had to do what would work within my constraints...Just make sure you get A's (do your best) in those classes at the CC...and I dont think you have anything to worry about...


    LOL, No I dont think takong a class at a CC versus a university will put you at a disadvantage or affect you keeping up...I have friends here that graduated from Dartmouth, UCLA, Cal Berkley, UT Austin and Cornell,etc...and we are all in the same boat..MEdical School is medical school no matter where you took a class...Nothing really gets you prepared for this...LOL...But, sure will and determinations...THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!

    Best wishes on your journey....

    ReplyDelete