Tuesday, September 9, 2008

They will not stop me....

The fall semester has begun. I am excited. I am like a sponge in the class room. Every word that my instructors are communicating, Im soaking them up. This semester I am taking Bio II, Phy I and Chem I. I decided not to take a fourth class because, I wanted to dedicate the extra time (ha ha) to studying for the MCAT. My husband purchased a MCAT study guide for me, which cost $75. And from what I can see it is worth every bit of it. I love the fact that every subject has a review section....cool... I really wanted to take Anatomy and Physiology (A &P I) this semester. I keep going back and forth...on that decision....But, when I found out the book, lab book, and etc was over $250...that help me to decide to wait until next semester..... Ouch.....

I scheduled an initial interview with the admissions department at a local medical school to get a inside opinion on what I need to accomplish in the next 9 to 12 months.....I may have to push my plans back one year...to make sure my package is strong and all my bases are covered....What's one year? I have time....(as a matter of fact we all have time....Time to accomplish our dreams, right...all we have to do is put a plan together and walk it out...right.....no matter what....)

I noticed from the medical school website that 21% of the entering classes was from a nontraditional background. Nontraditional student is what I am called. I am a nontraditional student because, I majored in another dicipline in undergrad. My Bachelor degree is in Business Admin. Currently, I am at a local junior college (jc) taking the premedical courses necessary to complete the application.

I have been advise by the counsellors at this jc that I should give myself 2 to 3 years to complete these courses....TO me this is absurd. The total credit hours in the premed discipline needed to apply to medical school is only 44 hrs. I completed 8 this summer, 12 this semester, 16 to 20 next semester. And that leaves 8 credit hours to take either next summer or in the fall. I would have completed the 44 hrs within 1 year of starting my premed course..... The big question I have for the admission director at the med school is do they frown on science classes that are taken in the summer? That is what the admission counsellors at my jc are telling me. And they are saying that I should take more than the minimum requirement courses, dont take the MCAT unit I finish all my premed classes....blah blah blah.....

According to the application process, I am able to complete as many course as possible, take the MCAT, and apply, list all scheduled/planned classes on application. If I need to push my Organic Chem I & II into the fall of 2009 and spring 2010, then I will take additional science course, such as Human Genetics, Immunology, Biochemistry and Microbiology.

No comments:

Post a Comment