Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Residency 2016...Fund Raising has officially begun..Donate NOW!


I am on the verge of making history....as a practicing Physician (first in my family)....I always had the desire to practice medicine in my youth; But, I went a different direction...After graduating from high school at age 16...I joined the US Air Force...and life went on...However, in 2008, the urge to become a doctor came up again.  But, this time, I did not ignore it.   I decided it was time to live out my dream and actually go for it.  I had to complete several classes (15), before I could apply to medical school...which took time....In the midst of this, unfortunately, my husband became gravely ill and  passed away, 5 years ago.  It was a real stressful time.  But, I was determined to finish what I had started.  I had to schedule every aspect of my life, from taking him to  chemo and radiation appointments, managing his care, to the managing of the boys, to my volunteering, I was determined.  After his passing, I promised him that I would adopted and raise his two sons...Now, some years later, I am in medical school, my oldest is in college and my youngest is in middle school...A very hetic life.... 

Now, I'm at the door.  I can see the end of the tunnel...It's so exciting...I am entering my 4th year of medical school.

In order to practice medicine as a skilled physician, I must complete a residency program. This is a wonderful adventure of 3 to 4 years of pure torture (some say)...however, by the end of the residency, I will be considered an expert in my field of training...

Residency seasons for Match 2016 opens officially September 15, 2015 and ends Februray 2016.    During this time, I am looking to apply to many programs around the US.  However, applying for these programs comes with a hefty cost.  The approximate price for 275 programs application fees will run approximately $5500.  Why so many programs?  I will be applying to several different specialities and within those specialities I need to apply to a minimum of 50 programs...Then after I have applied, and the programs that would like a closer look at me, will offer me an in person interview at my expence.  A medical student can get up to 20 interviews...however, the average is about 11 interviews... So, that means I would have to fund the trip: travel, housing and transportation.

As with any job interview, each invitation is an honor with such stiff competition and a must to attend in order to be considered.  Match 2015 had approx. 25,000 opening with 37,000 applicants...So, the more programs applied the better the chances of matching.  Come March 2016, it will be music to my ears to hear, "Congratulations, You've Matched!" 

No contribution is too small or too large...With your contributions of $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, $1000 $10,000, will make this all possible.  Feel free to tell your friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc....
Click this link to donate: http://www.gofundme.com/JBuschMD

All things are possible to them that believe....

Thank you for your support...and follow me on
http://a40yearoldmedicalstudent.blogspot.com
I've been journaling my journey to and through medical school for the past 7 years....

Kindest Regards,
Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment