Friday, July 31, 2009

Moving to the next level....

Today was my last day in the research program. I have a huge sense of euphoria. I am so proud and happy to have accomplished such a huge task. Just over a year ago, I started my journey of becoming a doctor. I went in full force and sought out avenues to explore and get a better grasp on the field of medicine. Within this last year, I have: completed 7 prereq courses with a GPA 3.62, volunteered in a hospital, volunteered with Healthcare for the Homeless, provided one on one patient care, round with mentor, 3rd year med students and residents and over 370 hours of research work with a published abstract at my first choice medical school. I am so excited. To actually see my plans unfold before me is so rewarding and fulfilling.

My most enjoyable time this summer was rounding with my mentor. There I actually got to see first hand, how new doctors assess patients, diagnois and prescribe treatments. Some very interesting cases: a young 42 year old woman with ovarian cancer, young female with sickle cell anemia, 64 year old woman with inflamed colon, patients with autoimmune diseases, thyroid cancer, bipolar disorder, etc. No two patients were the same. I love that. It keeps you on your feet, uncovering the best treatments and what's best for the patient. Totally, cool....

Next, working in the laboratory was great. I was actually doing real research work. Expressing a gene, cloning a gene. Although some tasked seemed mundaned, at the end of the program the light was shinning brightly that this is research. What a fabuluous thing to have people dedicated to finding new and improved ways of keeping us all healthy.

Healthcare is making a huge transition from treating symptoms to preventing symptoms. That's what research is all about. The more we have knowledge of how our bodies work the better treatments we can provide. Especially, with technology we are able to uncover new diagnostics, better treatments by leaps and bounds. I definitely want to be apart of the research world.....

No comments:

Post a Comment